A Comment on Ivy Revival



I think this "works"for the "new" JCrew and follows well the revival conversation of Ivy style (cf., Avery Trufleman, Marx, Jules, Japanese JPress, et.al).  This is because this model who looks this young will never be mistaken for me.  I make no criticism here, not of JCrew, the style, the model, or you. 

Rather, this whole look is plausibly "cool" on you next to, say, the dowdy old man O'Connell's or JPress model who looks like me because there is plenty of distance between these aesthetic judgments across generations.

JCrew is here nodding to its own past and to mine (as well as my present) but the point is that on me this whole look (which I might very well go) is a sign of my style-irrelevance, past-ness, decidedly old man. On you it's just another way to be cool.

Of course now that I am out of the running for coolness I get to wear stuff that I wouldn't when I still had a chance to be cool. My example is the 60s jazz club trilby that I wouldn't have worn ten years ago when I could pass for almost still cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Walk Through the Park in the Himel Excelsior

High Rise, Going Straight and the End of Too Tight

The Ship John Wills Jacket