Is It Worth It? About the Price of Things

I don't think of shoes or clothes or really much of anything anymore in terms of "worth the price." 
Is that a good bargain? Is that overpriced?

What makes things "worth" it?

Things have a price. I treat everything---even a can of soup---as if it were art.  Not everything is art but that doesn't matter.

My process goes like this---1. there is a price that usually makes no sense to me and anyway I can't do much about it, 2. do I reallllly like this or want this enough?, 3. can I afford this? 

For example, I drive a car that is stupit [sic] expensive but I really do like it, I somehow could afford it (for now).  Is it "worth" this exorbitant price?  Well, I think the price is exorbitant and I wish it weren't but that's what it costs.  Is it "worth it"?  

My question is: am I comfortable owning it? This makes way more sense to me. That "comfort" position is informed by a host of considerations, including financial and emotional.  I sold a remarkable, beautiful watch that I saved a lifetime to own because I ended up feeling uncomfortable owning it, much less wearing it. 

It also helps if you don't much care what others think about what you do short of breaking the law or being morally bankrupt (like Elon).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Walk Through the Park in the Himel Excelsior

High Rise, Going Straight and the End of Too Tight

The Ship John Wills Jacket